I spent some time over the weekend planting new perennials and prepping my garden beds after my first visit of the season to Indian Creek Wholesale Nursery in Madison.
My personal favorite time of year to lace up my tennis shoes and take a slow stroll around Indian Creek is right now during early spring. The commencement of warm weather always stirs up my desire to throw on gardening gloves and plant all of the things both in the ground as well as in my flower pots.
I know you may feel tempted to make a quick trip to a big box hardware store for your outdoor needs but consider the expansive Indian Creek Nursery to search for and purchase your perennials, annuals, hanging baskets, trees, mulch, bags of soil, and more.
Plenty of annuals that are perfect for your flower pots typically arrive around Easter weekend because the chances of a deep freeze during the rest of the spring is slim to none. Indian Creek even has complimentary designers on hand to help you mix and match the perfect pair to make your pots the envy of your street!
The real differentiator between Indian Creek and big box stores is the quality of their plant material. It’s taken care of around the clock and only sourced from the best they can get their hands on.
After more than a dozen successful trips to Indian Creek throughout the last few years during all four seasons, here are my personal tips to make the most of your trip to this special, family-owned, local nursery.
- Ask for help every time. If you are confused about which plants should be paired together or what type of potting soil to get, grab an employee roaming around and ask. Indian Creek has a large staff because they want as many knowledgeable professionals on hand to help you with every need as possible.
During my recent trip, I was looking for perennials to plant in between a row of green boxwood bushes, but I soon became overwhelmed by the options. I didn’t want to waste money on plants that ideally shouldn’t be planted in the area that I had in mind, but I was also confused about how they would grow.
I grabbed a nearby employee who took her time looking at the pictures on my phone of the area I had in mind. She walked me around to various areas of the property pointing out various options and sticking with me until I made a decision. I drove away with my plants feeling fully confident that they will look beautiful not only this spring/summer but also for years to come.
2. Do you have flower pots that you love but don’t know what type of flowers to plant in them? Bring them to Indian Creek and ask for someone to help you. They’ll help you mix and match using their proven method of varying plants that will grow well together.
They’ll also help you consider where you want to put each of the pots and how much direct sun those areas receive. These questions make a difference in ensuring you aren’t wasting your time and energy on putting together arrangements that will inevitably fail.
3. Wear washable shoes and plan to stay a while! Each plant includes a detailed card that shares all of the ins and outs of each plant you see. I’ve spent up to two hours just roaming around the multi-acre property reading along plants I’d never heard of. You’ll learn so much!
4. Utilize the new welcome area which features a map of the property and what you will find and where!
5. Need more landscape help for a significant project at your home or office? Email Indian Creek to discuss their design services! You can read about our own personal experience with their design services here.
Indian Creek Wholesale Nursery has been serving North Alabama and beyond for more than two decades and takes pride in offering the most healthy, quality plants they can get their hands on. Their product combined with their exceptional, knowledgeable staff makes Indian Creek Wholesale Nursery a true one-stop-shop for your outdoor plant material.
Easter at the Creek
Want something extra fun to do this Saturday, April 8th? Make plans to attend Easter at the Creek! Click here for more information about the day’s events, parking, giveaways, egg hunts, and more!
Quick Info for Indian Creek Wholesale Nursery
1124 Slaughter Rd., Madison, AL 35758
Monday – Friday 7AM – 6PM
Saturday 8AM – 5PM